[Samba] Running an NT4 PDC and an ADC side by side

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 23 23:16:07 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 10:01 +0100, samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com
wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm planning to migrate an existing Samba 3.4.7 NT4-domain
> (our.site.com) to a Samba 4.1.6 AD-domain (ad.our.site.com) on another
> machine. Our site currently has about 30 clients and 50 user accounts.
> My plan is to setup the ADC on the other machine and to migrate the
> user accounts using the Samba4 classicupgrade tool. I would then newly
> setup groups, permissions, etc. on the new ADC. After an extensive
> test phase I would then join one client machine after the other to the
> new AD-domain.
> My main question before I start is: Is it possible to safely run an
> NT4 PDC for our.site.com and an ADC for ad.our.site.com in parallel on
> the same subnet (both on different machines) or are there problems to
> be expected?

You can't run them on the same subnet, they will fight over the
ownership of the netbios domain name.

Run them isolated.

We would like to make it easier to bring password changes (only) between
the two domains, but that isn't trivial right now.  (A script looking at
the last change time is what I imagine).  The best suggestion is to
re-run the upgrade once you are happy with your tests, with current
data, and to then do any improvements once the simple transition is
over.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett