[Samba] Administrator uid is 3000000 not 0 as root

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun Mar 23 17:26:34 MDT 2014

Александр Свиридов wrote:
>  Hello!
> W alse have a problem when folders and files created as Administrator have owner uid as 3000000 not 0 as, I understand, it must be. Because of this programs can't define samba user name by uid.
Administrator is a builtin on a Windows system.
There is no domain equivalent, so you probably shouldn't
try to put one there.

The Administrators group is also a built-in local group on
windows with no Domain equivalent, However:

    SID: S-1-5-32-544
    Name: Administrators
    operating system, the only member of the group is the Administrator
    account. When a computer joins a domain, the Domain Admins group is
    added to the Administrators group. When a server becomes a domain
    controller, the Enterprise Admins group also is added to the
    Administrators group.

---
So I think, what you are looking for is the Domain Admins group --- to
enable
domain admin access, which "_should_" [not always automatic, in my
experience]
have that put in each Administrators group on each machine.  From the
above text from a "Well-known SIDs" page on MS's website, the Domain Admins
groups should automatically be added to the Administrators group on a
local machine when it joins a domain, but I have had to make that change
manually in most cases.

You can rename your linux root account to 'Administrator' if you are
really inclined to do so, but I'd suggest rename Administrator account on
client machines to 'root' if you want the names to be consistent.

If you create a 'Administrator' account in Samba, you'd have to create
it as a Domain user -- and that will be different than the built-in
Administrator (they'll have different GUIDS).

Good luck...