[Samba] Samba 4.1 Active Directory and Windows 2012 Standard Evaluation

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Thu Mar 20 19:09:16 MDT 2014

On 17/03/14 15:51, Stuart Longland wrote:
> I have a Windows XP and a Windows 2000 VM, both joined to the domain,
> and both work.  When I try to join the others to the domain, I specify
> Administrator and my chosen password, and they happily join.

One of my colleagues managed to download some evaluation copies of
Windows Server from Microsoft's site, intended for deployment in a
Hyper-V environment.

The EULA makes no requirement where you run them other than they have to
understand .vhd format images: which QEMU does.  We got three images:

- Windows 2003
- Windows 2008 R2
- Windows 2012 R2

I couldn't get the '2003 image to run (it didn't like the disk
controller), but the other two came up fine.  So I connect them to my
test active directory VLAN.

Windows 2012 R2 first up, and I prepare myself for a fight.  Brought up
the system settings, told it to join the domain, entered my username and
password then got: "Welcome to the MYREALM.MYDOMAIN domain".  Rebooted,
it joined the domain without question.  Having installed the necessary
add-ons, I'm happily administering Samba-based ActiveDirectory with the
Win2012R2 server as a member server.

Windows 2008 R2 is next, I go through the usual procedure, enter the
credentials, then it tells me that I got my Administrator password
wrong.  The same credentials I used for Windows 2000, XP and 2012R2.

Going back to the OpenStack evaluation image of 2012 I had (which was
the original 2012, not R2), it too reports that the password is incorrect.

So it seems there's something odd with the way Windows 2008 R2 and
Windows 2012 (original) that Samba4.1 doesn't like.  I'm doing a Windows
Update on the 2008 R2 VM to see if that clears things up.

If anyone else has ideas as to what I can check, that'd be appreciated.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland
Systems Engineer