[Samba] Running an NT4 PDC and an ADC side by side

samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com
Thu Mar 20 03:01:46 MDT 2014

Dear List,

I'm planning to migrate an existing Samba 3.4.7 NT4-domain
(our.site.com) to a Samba 4.1.6 AD-domain (ad.our.site.com) on another
machine. Our site currently has about 30 clients and 50 user accounts.
My plan is to setup the ADC on the other machine and to migrate the
user accounts using the Samba4 classicupgrade tool. I would then newly
setup groups, permissions, etc. on the new ADC. After an extensive
test phase I would then join one client machine after the other to the
new AD-domain.
My main question before I start is: Is it possible to safely run an
NT4 PDC for our.site.com and an ADC for ad.our.site.com in parallel on
the same subnet (both on different machines) or are there problems to
be expected?

Thanks for your kind support and best regards
Andreas