[Samba] samba Digest, Vol 130, Issue 24

Wayne Andersen waynea at clima-tech.com
Tue Mar 18 16:07:25 MDT 2014

I have been using Samba for quite a while now in my production
environment, really since the very early releases of 4.
There has been some pain here and there, but it has been an exciting and
rewarding process.

I have been noticing more and more changes in the environment, most
minor but some more significant.

A couple of examples.

I did not use--use-rfc2307  when provisioning,  it was not in the Samba AD How to originally.
Can not find any way to create those records after the fact.

Now I am trying to switch from the internal DNS to BIND, and it looks
like the DNS directory has changed from /usr/local/samba/private to
/usr/local/samba/private/DNS.
(I would like to know where this is defined so that I can update it)

None of the issues I have run into are deal breakers at this point most
just nice to have or nuisances.

My question boils down to, at some point should I quit fighting the
changes that have crept in with each update and start over again new.

There are clearly dis-advantages to both scenarios.

I am not aware of any way to backup the AD data in a way that would let
me install a fresh domain then import the same machines and users.

So I think I would be starting over from scratch.

Any opinions?

Wayne