[Samba] Linux machine to join Samba Domain

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue Mar 18 09:02:49 MDT 2014

On 2014-03-18 15:48, vikas wrote:
> hi.. all...
>
> can some one help me understanding how to add linux (mostly ubuntu,suse
> etc)
>
> what exactly i am looking for is what one should do on linux machine
> like editing /etc/nssswitch.conf, pam related file etc..but i dont find
> any standard way where one can add any linux machine to samba domain

Because there isn't any. :-)

> my goal is to just get authenticate through Samba

There's several ways for that…

 • Use winbindd. This is probably the most direct equivalent to Windows'
"domain join". It's also crap and only has very limited features right
now (Shell, home etc. aren't read from AD, but statically configured).

 • Use pam_ldap, and nss_ldap, and pam_ccreds, and probably half a dozen
other ill-documented tidbits and not-quite-sufficient software bits and
stitch together a working environment. It's as flexible as it's error
prone, but should work with all corner cases and distributions. Eventually.

 • Use sssd. It's made by RedHat and should be the default for CentOS,
and works sufficiently well with Samba. Needs a bit more client-side
configuration than winbind iirc, but actually uses the provided AD
information like shell and home dir.

> Windows machine are successful getting connected to samba with all
> policy working like USB disable through regedit, disable drives etc.

All of these provide authentication only, though. There's no policy
support, you'd need to use some other sync/deployment method for PolKit
et. al. (and can't configure them via AD, as far as I know).

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at