[Samba] Domain DNS zones file corrupted

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Mar 17 11:15:11 MDT 2014

Hello

Am 17.03.2014 07:18, schrieb José Neto:
> Lately I'm faced some problems with samba. Basically it starts and
> dies[1] soon after. A little research and I found the issue: I/O
> error. There was a bad sector "under" the DOMAINDNSZONES ldb file,
> making the file corrupted.
>
> So far no problems, but before the current setup, I've tested samba
> within an usb stick - please, don't judge me :P - and faced exactly
> the same problem[2]. My thoughts were about the write limit of usb
> stick were generating I/O errors. So I moved on and migrated samba to
> a HDD. 4 months has passed and now I'm facing the same error.
>
> Someone else have faced this problem?

Have you brought the test environment from your USB stick into
production or did you a new provisioning and got the IO problem in
production then, too?

If you moved the installation from USB to production, what filesystem
was on the stick? Something that can handle hardlinks? Because the
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES... you find in two places as hardlink.

Can you check if it's hardlinked?

# ls -la -i
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC\=DOMAINDNSZONES\,DC\=SAMDOM\,DC\=EXAMPLE\,DC\=COM.ldb

1448517 -rw-rw---- 2 root named 4251648 17. Mär 18:06
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=SAMDOM,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM.ldb

# ls -la -i
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/DC\=DOMAINDNSZONES\,DC\=SAMDOM\,DC\=EXAMPLE\,DC\=COM.ldb

1448517 -rw-rw---- 2 root named 4251648 17. Mär 18:06
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=SAMDOM,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM.ldb

And what is the timestamp an both files, if the inodes differ?

Regards,
Marc