[Samba] Samba 4.1 Active Directory and Windows 2012 Standard Evaluation

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Sun Mar 16 23:51:36 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I've been slowly coming to grips with ActiveDirectory, having set up a
test network to figure out its innards and rehearse setting up a network
in preparation of replacing our existing NT4-based domain.

One of the machines I'm trying to join as a member server, is running
Windows 2012 Standard Evaluation.  It's actually an OpenStack image
retrieved from here:

http://www.cloudbase.it/openstack-windows-server-2012-r2-evalution-images/

The VM is on the same VLAN as the domain controllers (which are
themselves, VMs), same subnets, and I've tried disabling firewalls.

I have a Windows XP and a Windows 2000 VM, both joined to the domain,
and both work.  When I try to join the others to the domain, I specify
Administrator and my chosen password, and they happily join.

Windows 2012 on the other hand tells me I got the password wrong.

The closest thing I can find is trying to join a Samba machine to a
domain that's run by a Win2012 PDC.  At the time it was reported that
the two were incompatible:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-April/173050.html

My situation is the reverse: joining a Win2012 machine to a Samba PDC.
Is this schema problem still an issue today?  Is there something else I
could be doing wrong?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland