[Samba] smbcontrol smbd reload-config or service smbd reload doesn't reload include files

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu Mar 13 14:03:58 MDT 2014

Hello Sabuj

Am 13.03.2014 20:46, schrieb Sabuj Pattanayek:
> I noticed that smbcontrol smbd reload-config or service smbd reload doesn't
> reload include files. Is there anyway to get a reload to reload files that
> have been included from the main smb.conf ? Otherwise it only looks like
> restart works, but that causes connections to reset, even in a
> ctdb/clustered environment . The only other option it looks like is to just
> put everything into the smb.conf file ?

I use include files for printer and shares in production (3.6.23 and
4.1.6) and always do a "smbcontrol all reload-config", what works.

I quickly did a test here on my testsystem (4.1.5) and renamed a
printer, that is in a separate file which is included in smb.conf. Works.

Which version do you use?

Increase the loglevel to at least 4, then do a
# smbcontrol all reload-config
and search your logs for "include". You should see the included files:

# fgrep include /var/log/samba/*
10.99.0.70.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/shares.conf
10.99.0.70.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/printers.conf
nmbd.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/shares.conf
smbd.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/shares.conf
smbd.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/printers.conf
winbindd.log:  doing parameter include = /etc/samba/shares.conf

Regards,
Marc