[Samba] samba - what happens if I say local master = No for samba 3

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 13 09:24:28 MDT 2014

On 13/03/14 13:11, Raymond wrote:
> Yes same amount of Pc's... but will the two servers be able to run parallel
> on the network? Need to know if it will affect the PC's logon ability if I
> say (no) to domain master on samba3 and also if I have Samba4 running will
> the samab3 PC's not ry and authenticate against samba 4 ?
>

> This is scary
>
> Ray

Hi, if you try and run them on the same network, I think that you will
have problems, this is taken from the classicupgrade page on the wiki:

Also, it is necessary to do testing on a separate network so that the
old and new domain controllers don't clash. The issues with having both
domains 'live' at the same time are:

  * The databases are not syncronised after the initial migration
  * Even if no changes are made to the DB, clients which see an AD DC
    will no longer honour NT4 system policies
  * The new Samba4 PDC and the old DC will both claim to hold the #1b
    name as the netbios domain master

This may not be a problem if you do change the workgroup/realm names,
but I do not know enough to be sure. I do know that you can run run 2
different AD DC's on the same network provided that they have different
workgroup/realm names

Rowland