[Samba] Wiki should have Readme First

DNK ml at srvrs.co
Thu Mar 13 08:16:35 MDT 2014

On Mar 13, 2014, at 7:01 AM, Simon Schneider <schneida.simon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to get this straight: Apart from the problem with browsing (which will
> be solved with samba 4.2?) and things like redundancy, server load etc.,
> from a technical standpoint it is perfectly OK to run Samba 4 AD +
> Fileserver with the same samba instance?
>
> We're a small "company" and cannot afford running two server just for
> authentication vs file serving, both would be doing nothing most of the
> time, yet virtualization would kill us probably with not enough memory
> problems, so can you give a definite yes or no?

Although this is not a definite “yes” or “no” (I started using samba 4.x 2 days ago), I imagine it “would” be fine. I mean look at the zentyal distro…. That’s exactly what they do. And for all the same reasons that people should run AD & file sharing separate in windows as well, a lot of people do not for the exact reasons you specified above. This assumes that with the samba version there are no other “gotchas” besides the browsing issue.

I just got my own test box up last night, and have it running “all in one” without issue (other than a browsed connection). I can see the system in the browser, but authentication fails.