[Samba] Wiki should have Readme First

Justin Clacherty justin at redfish.com.au
Wed Mar 12 17:23:08 MDT 2014

> Sent: Thursday, 13 March 2014 9:07 AM
>
> On Mar 12, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Klaus Hartnegg <hartnegg at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > I suggest the Wiki should have a Readme First similar like this:
> > http://www.klaus-hartnegg.de/gpo/14-03-12-samba4.html
>

> I am just curious (after reading the link), but why should someone not run
> the file sharing and Ad functions on one server? Some small offices do that
> even with the windows version. Although I do agree with that practice,
> however some small deployments may have cost restrictions on either
> buying a server capable of running VM's, or a second server.

Yes, why is this necessary?  I know it has been a recommendation (that is liberally ignored) on Windows servers since inception but I had thought this was more a performance thing.  What are the ramifications of running AD and file sharing on the one machine?  Small installations are unlikely to want the overhead of managing multiple machines.

Justin.