[Samba] renaming default first site or moving a server to a different site problem

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Mar 7 04:47:06 MST 2014

Hi Oliver,

> Creating sites works fine. Moving a DC to the site don't work. I didn't
> find any option in samba-tool to move the dc to another site.
> Should I try to do a demote and than a join?

I had today to set up a new samba4 server (4.1.5) on a remote site, and
indeed I have strange issues... The setup is based on two DC, one samba4
and one win2k3r2 on the main site, and a samba4 server on the remote
site. When creating a new site in AD (not yet created subnet nor moved
the AD in the site) I get a swarming of IPC$ connexion from windows
workstations that are never disconnected.

[root at srvads ~]# smbstatus | grep IPC\\$ | wc -l
154

The number of smbd processes increased equally and did fill up the 1GB
of RAM and the server started swaping... Removing the sites gets
everything back to normal, that is IPC$ are seldom there for more than a
second (except for linux servers with winbind running).

[root at srvads ~]# smbstatus | grep IPC\\$ | wc -l
6

Did you see the same behavior when trying to set up sites?

Cheers,

Denis