[Samba] 4.1.5, spoolss_connect_to_client and negotiated protocol

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Fri Mar 7 03:10:42 MST 2014

Hi Andrew and Thomas,

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:15:24 +1300
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> > spoolss_connect_to_client: machine X didn't negotiate NT protocol.
> >
> > Is it possible that for '*max protocol = SMB3' in smb.conf a higher
> > protocol will be negotiated with modern clients and thats why the
> > message in smbd.log is printed?
> >
> > If the answer is yes:
> > Shouldn't spoolss_connect_to_client be changed?
>
> Yes, it may need to be changed in GIT master now we have SMB2 support in
> the DCE/RPC client.  I don't know what older versions have that working
> however, I think it's only in master.
>
> Metze/David:  Can you comment on this please?

Looks like the PROTOCOL_NT1 check goes all the way back to when the
spoolss notification backchannel support was initially added.

We could change the check to (>= PROTOCOL_NT1), but given that modern
clients usually don't accept the backchannel connection, I'd consider
it of little value.

@Thomas, if you're willing to test backchannel notifications against
an SMB2+ print client, I can send you a 4.1 based patch or rpm.

Cheers, David