[Samba] One way replication

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Thu Mar 6 11:59:43 MST 2014

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I recently run a cross something different...
>
> The problem of the replicate sync problem is because of DNS.
> Linux is unable to access to the GUID._msdc.DOMAIN
>
> You can try this by samba interactivelly
>
> # samba -i -d5
>
> And check if you will see something like
>
> dns child failed to find name _msdcs of type a
> dreplsrv_op_pull_source(werr_badfile) for
>
> If you do...
>
> Add the ip and this name to your /etc/hosts
>
> to see if that fix the issue..

I do not get that message, but I do think that the problem might be related
to DNS. The Samba box can see all of the DNS records pertaining to the
Windows DC, but none of the records that the Samba DC needs to add to
DNS are being added. So the Windows DC does not see any records pertaining
to the Samba DC. I just found out that automatically adding these records
to a Windows 2000 DC is not supported (see my email with subjects 'Dns
updates not working' and 'How stable are DNS records'). I may try to add
them by hand on the Windows 2000 DC.

See further below.

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Denis Cardon <
> denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >

> >  I joined a Fedora Linux box running Samba 4.1.5 to a Windows Server 2000
> >> domain controller as an additional domain controller with the command:
> >>
> >> samba-tool domain join adi.com DC -Uadministrator --realm=adi.com
> >>      --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> >>
> >> The messages indicated that this was mostly sucessfull with the exception
> >> of the message:
> >>
> >> NO DNS zone information found in source domain, not replicating DNS
> >>
> >> If I add a user from the Windows Server 2000 box it shows up on the Samba
> >> box after a minute or two. If I add a new user from the Samba box, it
> >> never
> >> shows up on the Windows 2000 DC.
> >>
> >> This may be related to the problem I reported yesterday with the subject:
> >> Dns update not working.
> >> I wonder if anyone has sucessfully joined a Samba box to a Windows Server
> >> 2000
> >> DC as an additional domain controller. Could the replication problem be
> >> due
> >> to the fact that the Windows DC does not have the correct DNS records?
> >> Would
> >> adding them manually help?
> >>

> > I have had the same issue in the past. I guess adding a samba4 server to a
> > win2k AD is not yet fully supported (there has been some posts about this
> > subject in the past).
> >
> > I'd sugggest the easiest migration path is to join a win2k3r2 as a DC,
> > kick out the win2k AD, upgrade the domain and forest level, and then add
> > your samba4. Then you can remove the win2k3r2 server.
> >
> > Be sure to check that the demote remove properly the DNS entries, the
> > machine accounts and the replication entries along the way.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Denis

Unfortunately we do not have any newer server class Windows machines
available. We looked into upgrading the server 2000 machine to a server
2003 machine, but we have some worries about that. We are running an
important application (Syteline) on it that is not under maintainance
and we do not know if will work correctly on Windows server 2003. And
when I looked into buying Windows server 2003, the licensing drove me
crazy.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com