[Samba] Books of Samba 4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Mar 5 15:43:29 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 21:38 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 05/03/14 21:36, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> > ---MASSIVE SNIP---
> > P> This is the last that I will say on this subject.
> >
> > RP> Yes, samba4 was started out as a totally separate entity, but they
> > RP> folded samba3 into samba4 to get the fileserver components etc.
> > RP> You can set up samba 4 as either an AD DC, OR as anything a samba 3.6
> > RP> could do, it all depends on how you set it up.
> > RP> Yes, samba 3 will come to end of life sometime around end of August, but
> > RP> it will live on in samba 4.
> >
> > RP> If you want to get help, then I suggest you calm down, stop complaining
> > RP> about what samba cannot do yet and concentrate on what samba can do. If
> > RP> you stop and think about it, it is amazing just what the samba devs have
> > RP> managed to do so far and it just keeps getting better.
> >
> > RP> Rowland
> >
> > I have to say, having been a poster, offering occasional help, and as
> > someone following along on the list for more than a year...
> >
> > I've seen Steve, Marc, and Rowland, Andrew and many others offer a lot
> > of help. Marc Steve and Rowland do it out of the goodness of their
> > hearts and I see they must spend a LOT of time doing so.
> >
> > To take such a strident tone when they offer help and/or opinion really
> > seems both counter-productive and offensive.
> >
> > I've read this thread over the last few days and if *I* were the one
> > responding, it would have gotten PLONK'ed a LONG time ago. I don't
> > have free time to dole out to people who want to bite the hand that
> > feeds them.
> >
> > IMO, the tolerance for what seems like whining, at least to me, has been pretty
> > forbearing.
> >
> > Just my two little cents.
> >
> > -Greg
> >
> I did say that I wouldn't post again on this, but I did an internet
> search on this guy and found this:
>
> http://www.tndh.net/~tony/tony.htm
>
> If this is the guy who is posting, then heaven help ipv6 in the USA, he
> cannot even set up samba ;-) ;-)
>
> Rowland

Mmm. I don't know whether anyone here has ever worked under a m$ or
enterprise Linux maintenance contract, but by the time you've formally
filled in all the forms, had their representative call you back having
to repeat the problem by voice that you just filled in a form for and
then find that that is not covered because you have done something non
standard, but you can pay extra and then they'll send someone around. 3
days later because you're not on their included small print locations.
And then they just restore the last backup leaving you back where you
were...

Most of the issues here are addressed within a few minutes of posting.
There are no forms to fill out and no 'phone calls to make. There is
nothing to pay. You will never be sent a bill. We never just leave you
twiddling your thumbs.

We have more common sense in our little fingers than the whole of the
corporate support fisaco put together.
Pepe