[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Mar 5 14:36:22 MST 2014

---MASSIVE SNIP---
P> This is the last that I will say on this subject.

RP> Yes, samba4 was started out as a totally separate entity, but they
RP> folded samba3 into samba4 to get the fileserver components etc.
RP> You can set up samba 4 as either an AD DC, OR as anything a samba 3.6
RP> could do, it all depends on how you set it up.
RP> Yes, samba 3 will come to end of life sometime around end of August, but
RP> it will live on in samba 4.

RP> If you want to get help, then I suggest you calm down, stop complaining
RP> about what samba cannot do yet and concentrate on what samba can do. If
RP> you stop and think about it, it is amazing just what the samba devs have
RP> managed to do so far and it just keeps getting better.

RP> Rowland

I have to say, having been a poster, offering occasional help, and as
someone following along on the list for more than a year...

I've seen Steve, Marc, and Rowland, Andrew and many others offer a lot
of help. Marc Steve and Rowland do it out of the goodness of their
hearts and I see they must spend a LOT of time doing so.

To take such a strident tone when they offer help and/or opinion really
seems both counter-productive and offensive.

I've read this thread over the last few days and if *I* were the one
responding, it would have gotten PLONK'ed a LONG time ago. I don't
have free time to dole out to people who want to bite the hand that
feeds them.

IMO, the tolerance for what seems like whining, at least to me, has been pretty
forbearing.

Just my two little cents.

-Greg