[Samba] Abysmal performance with Samba 4 and Windows Explorer

Simon Schneider schneida.simon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 08:14:08 MST 2014

Thanks for your reply.

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = ABC-ABCDEF
        realm = ABC-ABCDEF.LAN
        netbios name = ABCSERVER
        dns forwarder = 10.10.20.20
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        load printers = yes
        log level = 0

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/asb-alkoven.lan/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        printing = CUPS

[print$]
        path = /srv/samba/PrinterDrivers
        comment = Printer Drivers
        writeable = yes

[Profiles]
        path = /srv/samba/Profiles
        read only = no

[home]
        path = /srv/samba/home
        read only = no

[GemeinsameDateien]
        path = /srv/samba/GemeinsameDateien
        read only = no

[... 3 more shares following exactly the same pattern as
"GemeinsameDateien"..]

I'm running samba version 4.1.5-SerNet-Debian-7.wheezy on debian i686. The
machine has 4GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo, so performance of the server
itself should not matter (there are at max 5-8 users accessing files but
mostly docs, some pictures).

The problem happens on our existing windows 7 clients as well as one that a
did a fresh install on, installed alle MS updates and is not yet joined to
the domain, so my applied GPOs should not change anything either. Also
clients access the server via IP, so no DNS problem either.

Thanks again for your input!