[Samba] following wide links on a Mac

avh art at lsr.nei.nih.gov
Wed Mar 5 07:30:33 MST 2014

Please educate me!  First to explain: when we upgraded our Macs to 10.9 we
started to get errors reading and writing files in matlab.  For reasons we
don't understand changing "unix extensions" to 'yes' fixed this.  I have
been contacted by the developers about this and they have requested I send
in dumps for debugging.

However I would like to get back into production in the interim.  Our users
need to follow wide links.  So being aware of the security implications we
defined "allow insecure wide links = yes" so we could still follow wide
links when "unix extensions = yes".

Now this works great when we mount from a Linux client or PC client.  But we
cannot follow a wide link from the Mac when "unix extensions = yes".  We get
errors like "The operation can't be completed because the original itme for
... can't be found" or "broken symbolic link".  From doing some reading on
the web I found people mention the Mac client will try to follow a wide link
locally if "unix extensions = yes"???

So I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me if there is a way
for the Mac to follow a wide link if "unix extensions = yes".  Thanks!