[Samba] Does automatic DNS PTR generation in Samba4 AD DC work at all?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Mar 5 05:57:44 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 13:06 +0100, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai
> i guess this is not working correcly.. or im missing something.
>
> I used the windows RATS tool to create the reverse zone. ( with the first pc i joined in the domain )
> i joined with 2 pc's ( win7 32bit and win7 64bit) with static ips.
>
> none of these pc's got the ptr record automaticly. :-)
> any tips ?

Hi
AD does not need ptr rr's to function.  We need them because we teach
using them. I believe some security systems also use reverse lookups but
on windows they will take care of this during their installation. If you
need them you can add a reverse zone on any DNS server you have access
to. It doesn't have to be your DC. Add the rr's using ddns updates. On
Linux, we use sssd for both forward and reverse rr's. On windows, use
this:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/how-do-i-configure-dhcp-for-dynamic-updates-in-windows-server-2008/377/#.
HTH
Steve