[Samba] Does automatic DNS PTR generation in Samba4 AD DC work at all?

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Wed Mar 5 02:31:42 MST 2014

Hello again,

to make reverse DNS work on the fly with samba 4.1  you just have to create the reverse lookup zone with samba-tool,ex:
samba-tool dns zonecreate your-samba-dns-server 135.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Then every client that register will auto get a reverse entry.
If you do it by hand the automatic dns update of the client will be denied in your log files and will not succeed.

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen
Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de
"Der Mensch ist die Medizin des Menschen"