[Samba] Join as DC requires libacl, not avail on Solaris

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 3 16:00:38 MST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 10:30 -0500, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> I am going to admit defeat here and use a Linux box as my additional
> domain controller. It looks like Samba 4.1.5 does not understand the
> Solaris ACL system. This may be related to Bug 10362. I have concluded
> from this and the other problems that I have had that the Samba team
> does not have access to a Solaris box for development and that Oricle
> is not providing any support for Samba. Fortunately Samba does work
> as a file server on Solaris.

The best way to extend Samba's OS support in the AD DC is to provide
tested patches.  The current code is deliberately quite restrictive in
the supported ACL backends, because for the AD DC this is mandatory.

The reason the code is restrictive, is that to ensure a good user
experience (most users find Samba as an AD DC just works), we check
upfront for the features we need, and so far the only tested
configuration involves posix ACLs

See the various discussions on ZFS support elsewhere on this and the
samba-technical lists.  Some folks appear to be making some progress.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/