[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Mar 3 14:36:17 MST 2014

Hello Rowland,

Am 03.03.2014 21:38, schrieb Rowland Penny:
> Marc, I cannot point you to an HowTo, but perhaps you, or anybody, can
> explain this:
>
> If you run 'samba-tool  domain provision --help', amongst everything
> else is this:
>
>    --server-role=ROLE    The server role (domain controller | dc | member
>                          server | member | standalone). Default is dc.

The 4.0.0 release notes
(https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html) said:

"Domain member support in the 'samba' binary is in its infancy, and is
not comparable to the support found in winbindd.  As such, do not use
the 'samba' binary (provided for the AD server) on a member server."

I can't say if it's still 100% correct in 4.1, but I haven't heard
anything different yet.

And at least joining on the old way works like in the past. So I think
this is still the preferred way.

Regards,
Marc