[Samba] FreeBSD/ZFS/S3FS usage and development questions

Joe Maloney jmaloney at pcbsd.org
Sun Mar 2 12:12:03 MST 2014

After cranking up the debuglevel to 10 and trying to create GPO's by hand I
see that gpo.py is also failing at setting the acl.  It creates a directory
under sysvol but never creates the objects.  It just seems to give up
creating additional folders and files for the GPO maybe because it can't
set the ACL's?  It also appears sysvolrest is doing more than I thought and
sysvolcheck appears to be working more than I thought as well.

It would seem the following are actually broken with ZFS.

domain provision
samba-tool gpo
samba-tool ntacl

I see another common warning among all of these tools.  That's in
__init__.py line 175. is where things seem to start to break down.  At
least after commenting some of those things out I notice some of the python
warnings go away.  I'm wondering if that's actually where the posix
hardcoding begins?  Is there maybe something specific I can grep each
source file for and remove to clear the posix check to see where things
stand?

I was thinking if I could just figure out how to ignore whatever this check
is that's breaking things I could write some code to detect the presence of
a .zfs directory on the root of whatever storage tank sysvol is stored in.
 Then proceed running a different set of commands if that is detected.  I'm
somewhat familiar with getfacl and setfacl commands as I have had to use
them to manage ACL's frequently.  Would these by an adequate replacement
for checking and setting ACL's for sysvol on ZFS volumes?  I'm assuming
something like this would have to be added to gpo.py as well for policy
creation to work with s3fs + ZFS?

Joe Maloney