[Samba] domain-based DFS ?

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 21:41:22 MDT 2014

> On 30.06.2014 20:15, Davor Vusir wrote:
>>>
>>> "the" DC? Which DC? What if I have three DCs, and a client has logged in
>>> via
>>> another one?
>>>
>> On Windows you have to define the domain DFS on every DC.
>

> No. In Windows DFS works great with just one single DFS server running on a
> pure file server, in a domain with four DCs. Running more DFS servers just
> increases the reliability and spreads the load.
>
> "The namespace server can be a member server or a domain controller."
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863%28v=ws.10%29.aspx)
>
> "You can increase the availability of a domain-based namespace by specifying
> additional namespace servers to host the namespace."
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732807.aspx)
>
> "When a DFS client first attempts to access a domain-based namespace, a
> domain controller provides a list of root servers to the client. This list
> of root servers is known as a root referral."
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417%28v=ws.10%29.aspx)

"Domain controllers store DFS metadata in Active Directory about
domain-based namespaces. DFS metadata consists of information about
entire namespace, including the root, root targets, links, link
targets, and settings. By default, root servers that host domain-based
namespaces periodically poll the domain controller acting as the
primary domain controller (PDC) emulator master to obtain an updated
version of the DFS metadata and store this metadata in memory."

http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/cc782417(v=ws.10).aspx

As the endpointmapper for DFS is not implemented in Samba, there is no
way for the DFS management MMC to store and manipulate the settings in
AD and for the DFS client to retrieve it. Which leaves you no option
but add the requiered settings on every AD DC.

Regards
Davor