[Samba] Samba 4.1.8 Importing automountmap ldif entries from existing OpenLDAP setup or ?

Jefferson Davis jdavis at standard.k12.ca.us
Mon Jun 30 12:17:03 MDT 2014

Let me see if I understand this correctly...

My setup is using redhat's schema which "as I understand it" (always dangerous) is the rfc2307 schema.

>From /etc/sysconfig/autofs:

MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="ou"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

>From what I gather you're suggesting that we let AD be the arbiter of file-locking via CIFS to avoid cross-platform file locking issues. I'd love to have a single map entry for all users, though I would be concerned about performance on a 3000 user network. We split up our staff on one share and students+teachers on another for security and performance reasons.

We've not had any file locking issues with our samba3+openldap++autofs+nfs setup that I can recall, but trusting my memory is not for the faint of heart.

We are in production though at the moment the affected userbase is much smaller with teachers and students and most admin staff gone for the summer. And with the samba4 AD domain separate, I can do some testing without causing too many tears.

Also, this is a bit odd to me:

/home/users/steve
maps nicely to:
* -fstype=cifs,username=somebody,multiuser ://users/&

In that we need to point it at a particular host and that appears to be missing. The only thing I can assume is that the AD Controller is the single and only automount host?

To translate to our environment, I would perhaps look at something like this:

fstab mounts staff share to /home/users on a server named "staff"

each staff user would have the following:

/home/users/jdavis
would then map to:
-fstype=cifs,username=jdavis staff://home/users/jdavis

Though it appears that credentials may need to be passed. oy.

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/56-ubuntu-autofs

Sorry to be so dense...

Really appreciate the explanation.