[Samba] Mysterious changes to smb.conf file

Steve Bergman sbergman27 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:55:20 MDT 2014

Hi,

At 06:25AM yesterday morning (which was the time of the log file
rotation) several of my shares became unavailable. In several places in
the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, the following lines had been added,
*outside* of the stanzas defining the shares.

available = no
browsable = no
public = no

I did not add these. smbd also restarted at that time. I'm still
Googling for answers. But I wanted to ask here ASAP due to security
considerations. This machine is not Internet-facing, but still I'm
concerned.

-Steve Bergman