[Samba] domain-based DFS ?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Jun 30 08:15:25 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 15:40 +0200, Davor Vusir wrote:

> >> Hi it's this:
> >> host msdfs = Yes
> >> vfs objects = dfs_samba4 # plus whatever else you need
> >> msdfs root = Yes
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Steve
> >>

> > Oh, and the root has to be on the DC:(
> >
> Sorry that I wasn't clearer about that.
>
> @L.P.H van Belle:
> I'm aware of that 'host msdfs = Yes' is amongst the hidden settings in
> global section. But to host DFS it simply didn't work until I made it
> explicit.
Hi
I think that means you have to have the line:
host msdfs = Yes
in smb.conf
The hidden (default?) value you get from testparm isn't correct.
@Davor Please could you confirm that that is what you mean?

Could you also post the vfs_object lines that we should include in 1.
[global] and 2. [share]

TIA

> I have two more share definitions on my AD DC, both running on RAID5,
> LVM and ext4 on top. In spite of that 'vfs object = dfs_samba4
> acl_xattr' is defined in the global section as a hidden setting, I
> could not manipulate ACLs on these share. Not until I added 'vfs
> object = acl_xattr' to the share definitions. I have not tested using
> a share on the same disk/volume that Samba is installed on.

As above.
Thanks,
Steve