[Samba] Win2K8 as DC in a samba4 environment

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 25 16:35:03 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 19:30 +0200, Iñigo Martinez Lasala wrote:
> Good morning.
>
> At this moment we run a samba4 domain with five linux DC under 4.1.7
> version. However, due to some poor designed apps our LDAP is suffering a
> lot of querys that raises CPU at 100% for minutes. Performance is poor
> and we think that a native Windows native DC would not suffer this
> problem due to a better index management and/or optimization at LDAP
> service.
>
> So, the question is, is it possible having a Win2K8 as a DC controller
> in a samba4 environment? Is safe? Has anybody experienced with this
> scenario?

That should work fine, but it would be very worthwhile working out what
calls are slow and why, so we can fix that as well.

I can provide suggestions on how to get us the information we need if
you wish to take that approach.  Essentially it involves (against a
debug build of samba) using the linux 'perf' tools in -g mode, eg perf
record -g and perf report -g.

The only issue will be if workstations connect to the windows server,
and look for sysvol, unless you work out a way to replicate that.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/