[Samba] about samba failover

me at electronico.nc me at electronico.nc
Wed Jun 25 16:08:51 MDT 2014

Hi all,

As many of us, I'm trying to find a way to have a failover solution for
a Samba domain.

The actual choice has been (because of hardware cost) to have only 1
physical xen-based server (ubuntu 14.04) that do (dom0) :
- DHCP server (LAN)
- NTP server
- firewall
- proxy
- DNS server
Then 4 VMs running for:
- Samba Domain controller
- Samba Domain member (file server)
- Apache2 server
- email server

As all eggs are in the same basket (French talking), I've setup a 2nd
xen-based server that uses DRBD/Pacemaker to provide the basic dom0
functions.

Now it's time about Samba ...
( I've read : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Clustered_Samba )
 From other readings, it seems that GlusterFS is not actually a valid
solution (permissions troubles from Windows side).
I was wondering if setting up Samba VMs that would use a RAID1 DRBD
network (RAID1 between xen-host1 and xen-host2) filesystem would be an
acceptable solution.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nicolas