[Samba] Setup and configure file shares with Windows ACLs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jun 25 06:21:55 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 13:57 +0200, Henrik Langos wrote:
> When reading the wiki page about setting up new shares there is some
> information missing.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs
>
> The information I am missing most here is which posix.1 ACLs to set
> after creating the shares directory.
>
> There is only
> # mkdir -p /srv/samba/Demo/
>
> but on my system that will create a directory that is owned by root:root
> and have 0755 permissions.
> Not very helpful as trying to configure the Windows ACLs later gets a
> "permission denied" error.

If you want to use this method, you must map the user who us
manipulating the security tab to root on the file server.

The easiest way to create the acls is to have winbind running on the
file server and use the names of the domain objects themselves to
prepare the initial permissions on the share. Once you're in _then_
change anything fancy you may need in windows.
HTH
Steve