[Samba] winbind: homeDirectory being ignored

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Jun 25 03:28:55 MDT 2014

On 24/06/2014 16:12, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Try adding 'unixHomeDirectory: /home/user7' to the users AD info
>
> 'homedirectory' & 'unixHomeDirectory' are different attributes.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Aside: I wrote an LDAP server library some years ago, so I understand
some of the protocol internals. LDAP requires you to go to the trouble
of defining a globally unique OID to identify every attribute - and then
what actually gets sent on the wire is the text label, not the OID. Go
figure.

RFC2307 uses the label "homeDirectory" for OID 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.3. It seems
that in AD you can put both "homeDirectory" and "unixHomeDirectory"
attributes, which are treated as different attributes in the database
and on the wire, except they have the same OID. Yuk.

To be fair, RFC2307 is only an "experimental" RFC, and I don't think
RFC2307bis was ever finalised.

As for groups: RFC2307 hardly mentions groups at all (memberUid is just
defined as an attribute, and that's it).

Does anyone have any pointers to documentation about how Active
Directory maps Unix gid and supplementary groups from LDAP entries and
attributes? Because I'm having a hard time finding any. In particular,
it seems to be using the gidNumber from the group object. But if a user
is a member of multiple groups, how does it decide which is the primary
group and which are supplementary groups?

Also: I can see no explicit binding between user8 and group "Domain
Users" (i.e. no memberOf: attribute). Are all users implicitly members
of this group?

Thanks,

Brian.