[Samba] Join AD fails DNS update

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 01:57:44 MDT 2014

On 25/06/14 08:35, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> And Again, there are 2 ways how resolving is done... read the last part, i've put in a example...
>
> And, yes i know that....
>
>> The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive.  If
>> more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance wins.
> And yes, above is correct
>
> but you really need to understand that putting the domain there also make this much easier to understand for none experienced users.
No it doesn't, you cannot advise users to read manpages and then ignore
what is in them!

>>>    the domain name is determined from the hostname and the domain search path is constructed from  the  domain name.
> and
>>>    The  search  list is normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it contains only the local domain name.
>        This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following
> and
>>>    The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive.  If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance wins.
> And to make sure you set the correct domain/search you can put it like this, it wont hurt,

No, it wont hurt, it wont help but it wont hurt.

> it isnt wrong

Oh yes it is.

> and it helps people put in the correct domain/search.

But you only need one.

> it just adds the primary domain in the search 2 times.
>
> This is not wrong.
> domain search1.domain
> search search1.domain
> nameserver 1.1.1.1

Yes it is

> this is the same and also not wrong..
> search search1.domain
> nameserver 1.1.1.1

you could use that

> and this is also the same, and not wrong.
> domain search1.domain
> nameserver 1.1.1.1

Or that

> but which one helps a newbe the most with what he/she is do-ing.

Either of the last two, but not the first.

> even...
> this is the same and not wrong. ( if you installed the right way )
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
>
> and dont forget this one.
>
> man gethostname
>>> The  GNU C library does not employ the gethostname() system call; instead, it implements gethostname() as a library function that calls uname(2)
>
> To draw another parallel, you seem to want the output of the command  hostname --fqdn  (which depends on the resolver), while others want  hostname .

No, I don't, all I want is for correct info to be given, if the manpage
says 'it is pointless doing this' then it is pointless advising other
people to do it. You personally can do what you like, but you shouldn't
advise other people to do an incorrect thing, sorry if this upsets you,
but it is just my opinion.

Rowland