[Samba] winbind: homeDirectory being ignored

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 09:17:08 MDT 2014

Grr... gid mapping has just started working. Looking back through my
history:

root at adclient:~# getent passwd user8
user8:*:1008:70001:user8:/home/ADTEST/user8:/bin/bash
root at adclient:~# service winbind restart
winbind stop/waiting
winbind start/running, process 29463
root at adclient:~# ls /var/cache/samba/
browse.dat  gencache.tdb  netsamlogon_cache.tdb  printing
root at adclient:~# rm /var/cache/samba/*.*
root at adclient:~# service winbind restart
winbind stop/waiting
winbind start/running, process 29523
root at adclient:~# getent passwd user8
user8:*:1008:1008:user8:/home/ADTEST/user8:/bin/bash

Maybe it *was* the cache cleaning which fixed it.

At least: I now have the group ID correct - this still doesn't use the
homeDirectory.

But on a hunch, based on what I saw in debug logs, I changed the
attribute from "homeDirectory" to "unixHomeDirectory" and it worked!

So the question now is: what's broken? Should "samba-tool user add ...
--home-directory" be setting unixHomeDirectory? And why is this
non-RFC2307 name being used?

Regards,

Brian.