[Samba] Easy conversion/import/use of old samba databases(passwords) to samba4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 24 01:14:05 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 13:42 +0300, Vesa Roto wrote:
> Background: A server running samba 3.6.3 on ubuntu 12.04 had a raid
> controller failure that also  corrupted the disks. I set up temporary
> server by simply installing ubuntu 12.04 and copying over the
> configuration(/etc/samba, /var/lib/samba passwd shadow groups gshadow)
> from backup to a reserve workstation and it has worked fine as reserve
> server.
>
> Setup: uses a single server master domain controller with tdb backend.
>
> Test: The replacement parts arrived and I installed ubuntu 14.04 on
> the main server. However ubuntu 14.04 only comes with samba 4.1.6 and
> there is no samba 3 package.
>
> Copying over the files and trying it shows that samba 4.1.6 starts
> fine with the old configuration and tdb files from the old samba, but
> the passwords do not work for users and machines. If I reset the
> password manually and rejoin the workstation to the domain things
> seems to work.

I suspect you are not putting the tdb files in the right place.  Samba
3.x machines can upgrade to Samba 4.x without changing to being an AD
DC, but we did move some files around, and on a same-host situation that
would have been handled by the package scripts.

Look at where passdb.tdb is created on your new host, and put the backup
file there.

> I would prefer to have the downtime on the server as short as possible.
>
> I tried looking at the samba 3 to 4 transition guides and they all
> either seem to have instructions for in place upgrade(that would
> require me to install samba3 first on the main server or samba4 on the
> temporary server) or by adding an extra server to a domain using ldap.

If you wish to use this as an opportunity to become an AD DC, see the
--dbdir option to 'samba-tool domain classicupgrade', and put all your
tdb files there.  That script should take care of the rest.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%
28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

Andrew Bartlett