[Samba] Active Directory 'add machine script' parameter

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:12:32 MDT 2014

On 23/06/14 14:56, Quentin Gibeaux wrote:
> On 23/06/2014 15:20, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> No, that's not what i meant. I'm not trying to include my stuff to
>>> AD, but connecting AD to my stuff.
>>
>> Er, but no, I think that you will find that you have to do it the
>> other way round, connect your stuff to AD
>>
>>> I'll try to keep AD clean with AD machines, but on my own interface
>>> i've both AD machines and not.
>>
>> Just what do you mean by 'my own interface' ?? are you referring to
>> your dns domain or something else.
>>
> I've a frontend web interface that manage hosts (name, ip, in domain
> or not, and so on). I can add/remove/edit them. It then runs in
> backend what needs to be run (joining domain, changing dhcp lease, and
> so on). The adding of a machine to the domain through this interface
> still require to join the domain on the host (for password matters),
> but the computer exists on AD.

I take it that this web interface runs on the samba host and what you
are actually doing is pre-creating the machine account

> What i was doing on S3, and am trying to still do with S4 is to feed
> my configuration when adding a machine to the domain through windows'
> interface : when added, it adds the machine to my general hosts' list
> (AD and not in AD), automatically create a static DHCP lease, add dns
> entry (not necessary now, i think), and so on.

You can pre-create machine accounts in AD, but it requires the use of
ldif's on Unix, but I think that you are going to have to forget the 'AD
and not in AD' bit or at least change it to 'add to AD' and 'add to
somewhere else'.

> So two ways to add a machine to the domain : through my web frontend,
> and through Samba. Both had the same effect on the server and the web
> interface because of 'add machine script' call.

As I said earlier, you need to do things differently with AD from what
you did in the past with your NT4 style PDC. As for your 'web
interface', you could try downloading and installing (on a windows
client) the RSAT tools and then run ADUC, I think that this will do most
of what you are doing now.

Rowland