[Samba] Active Directory 'add machine script' parameter

Quentin Gibeaux qgibeaux at iris-tech.fr
Mon Jun 23 07:56:38 MDT 2014

On 23/06/2014 15:20, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 23/06/14 14:02, Quentin Gibeaux wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you wanting/trying to add machines dns details to AD DNS for
>>> machines that are not joined to the domain ??
>>> If so, I cannot recommend doing this, the only machines that should
>>> be in AD, are machines joined to the domain
>> No, that's not what i meant. I'm not trying to include my stuff to
>> AD, but connecting AD to my stuff.
>
> Er, but no, I think that you will find that you have to do it the
> other way round, connect your stuff to AD
>
>> I'll try to keep AD clean with AD machines, but on my own interface
>> i've both AD machines and not.
>
> Just what do you mean by 'my own interface' ?? are you referring to
> your dns domain or something else.

I've a frontend web interface that manage hosts (name, ip, in domain or
not, and so on). I can add/remove/edit them. It then runs in backend
what needs to be run (joining domain, changing dhcp lease, and so on).
The adding of a machine to the domain through this interface still
require to join the domain on the host (for password matters), but the
computer exists on AD.

What i was doing on S3, and am trying to still do with S4 is to feed my
configuration when adding a machine to the domain through windows'
interface : when added, it adds the machine to my general hosts' list
(AD and not in AD), automatically create a static DHCP lease, add dns
entry (not necessary now, i think), and so on.

So two ways to add a machine to the domain : through my web frontend,
and through Samba. Both had the same effect on the server and the web
interface because of 'add machine script' call.