[Samba] Active Directory 'add machine script' parameter

Quentin Gibeaux qgibeaux at iris-tech.fr
Mon Jun 23 07:02:00 MDT 2014

On 23/06/2014 14:22, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 23/06/14 13:05, Quentin Gibeaux wrote:
>> On 23/06/2014 12:27, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> Just what else are you likely to what to do after adding a machine
>>> account?
>> Adding hostname/ip in some list that is used by my interface to
>> manage static dhcp leases and accesses. This interface doesn't manage
>> only machines that are added to the domain, that's why it's not
>> listing by requesting ldap.
>
> Are you wanting/trying to add machines dns details to AD DNS for
> machines that are not joined to the domain ??
> If so, I cannot recommend doing this, the only machines that should be
> in AD, are machines joined to the domain
No, that's not what i meant. I'm not trying to include my stuff to AD,
but connecting AD to my stuff.
I'll try to keep AD clean with AD machines, but on my own interface i've
both AD machines and not. I think i'll stay with my own bind with
bind_dlz backend : is that still not recommended to have DNS entries
that aren't referenced as AD hosts ?

But the main point was the DHCP leases, i used 'add machine script' to
update my dhcpd server's configuration to add lease for this new host.
It was great because it was automatic, due to the fact that samba was
calling the script after adding machine to the domain, but if there's no
such trigger anymore, i'll find something else.

>> So in fact, what i was doing was calling my script with %I (ip
>> address) and %u (user, but here hostname) to work with my backend.
>
> If on the other hand, you are not doing what I think you are doing,
> you could try scripting around 'samba-tool dns', see 'samba-tool dns
> --help' for more info.

I'll take a look at it, but the main problem is to launch it automatically.
> Rowland

Quentin Gibeaux