[Samba] DNS issues (my ignorance?) beating me like a rented mule.

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 02:31:33 MDT 2014

On 20/06/14 01:37, Jefferson Davis wrote:
> So, I managed to get an ad controller running, but cannot seem to get it to forward dns queries to my DNS server.
>
> It resolves it's own SRV records just fine.
>
> upstream bind is 9.2
>
> AD controller is the same DNS domain as the rest of my network (could this be the issue?)
Yes

> using SAMBA_INTERNAL on the AD controller.
>
> It's like I can either resolve my AD controllers SRV records or the rest of my domain, but not both...
>
> I've added the IP of the upstream DNS server to the forwarder statement in smb.conf, and added the ip of the AD controller to bind's forwarders {} block.
>
> No joy.
>
> I'm missing something in my understanding of DNS forwarding or something here. If you need to see more info please let me know.
>
> Thanks

OK, lets see if I can explain this:

a client asks about a hostname that is a domain member, the samba4
server replies with the required info, it doesn't ask its forwarder.

a client asks about an hostname outside the domain, the samba4 server
does not have the info and it is not in its domain, so it asks its
forwarder and gets the info and passes it to the asking client.

a client asks about a hostname that is not a domain member but has the
same domain name, the samba4 server replies that it does not know this
machine, it does not ask its forwarder.

Moral of the story, if your domain name is 'example.com' set your samba4
domain to be a sub-domain of this i.e. 'samba.example.com'

Rowland