[Samba] Troubleshooting poor (small) random read performance -- serverid.tdb?

Thu Jun 19 03:47:34 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:56:25AM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> No apparent change in behavior and strace on the smbd processes still
> showed it spending most of its time dealing with the serverid.tdb file
> -- high CPU time for those processes but very little disk I/O
> resulting.  I'm guessing even if I moved the TDB files to an SSD things
> wouldn't improve drastically.

Right. This is not about disk access.

> At this point we're moving to RHEL 7.0 as it includes Samba 4.1 (would
> like to avoid a source-install if I can and RHEL6 only includes Samba
> 4.0.x).  If things work better, perhaps we could push Red Hat to
> backport the fixes you mentioned in Samba-master to their package?

Well, that's a bit of a stretch I guess. I doubt RedHat will
port back those significant changes.

www.enterprisesamba.com have binaries for older RHEL
versions. If you have a spare test machine, this could work
for you even without RHEL 7.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de