[Samba] Problem: Reading files which are still written...

Markus Bartsch xbma at post.webinit.de
Wed Jun 18 07:47:11 MDT 2014

Am 18.06.2014 15:23, schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 03:01:25PM +0200, Markus Bartsch wrote:

>>> That sounds really annoying. When you did the 14.04 upgrade, were there
>>> any changes made to smb.conf? Maybe if you could post the current
>>> smb.conf that doesn't work we could spot something.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Acctually i did a clean new-installation,
>> but i was testing for serveral weeks now,
>> and now i did a downgrade and everything works again...
>> i dont even exactly know how to describe whats going wrong..
>> just timshifting does not work...
>>
>> my config has no special tings in it..:
>> no users , no rights, just a fileserver....
>> this config works with 3.6 and samba 4 but only with 3.6 i can read
>> unfinished files to the end...
>
> Can you check whether it might be an SMB2 problem? Try "max
> protocol = NT1" on the server and reboot your client.

i tested all of the Protocols named in man-file, but it did not change
anything...
samba4 does not update the actual file-length....
or does sombody have timeshifting with samba 4 working?? (i know its a
very special case)

>>     socket options=SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY
>
> Why do you limit your network performance with these
> settings? TCP_NODELAY is fine but limiting your kernel's
> TCP buffers is something that is generally not really
> advisable.

hmm.. ok.. you  are rigth, but this was a fragment of a very old config..
maybe i should disable it..

> With best regards,
>
> Volker Lendecke

yours