[Samba] Joining a domain - missing SRV records

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Jun 17 05:32:48 MDT 2014

I joined a second Samba 4 controller to an existing test Samba 4 domain
by following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC

I found I had to create the A and GUID CNAME records for the second host
by hand, as the instructions said I might.

However, there were also missing SRV records, in particular
_kerberos._udp.<domain>
_ldap._tcp.<domain>

(they list only the first server)

As I understand it, the client won't be able to find a domain controller
if the primary fails and there's no SRV. Indeed, if I shut down the
primary, kinit says it's unable to contact any KDC for the realm.

I was able to fix it like this, after I'd worked out the unusual
ordering of the SRV record parameters that samba-tool expects:

# samba-tool dns add localhost example.com _kerberos._udp srv
"pc2.example.com. 88 0 100" -U administrator
# samba-tool dns add localhost example.com _ldap._tcp srv
"pc2.example.com. 389 0 100" -U administrator
# samba-tool dns add localhost example.com _kerberos._tcp srv
"pc2.example.com. 88 0 100" -U administrator

(note: kinit didn't work until _kerberos._tcp was added; I used tcpdump
to find out what queries it was doing)

Also I see there are about others like
_kpasswd._udp
_kpasswd._tcp
which presumably should be included as well.

Perhaps these steps should be added to the documentation too?

Regards,

Brian.