[Samba] ldbsearch core dump

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Mon Jun 16 08:26:47 MDT 2014

I am running samba 4.1.7, and also upgraded to 4.1.8. I'm following the
wiki to add a second domain controller. Everything works fine until I
get to the part about the DNS entries for the new host and using
ldbsearch. I am using Arch Linux and their Samba package. Here is the
error:

# ldbsearch --modules-path=/usr/lib/samba/ldb/ -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb '(invocationid=*)' --cross-ncs  objectguid
Aborted (core dumped)

I ran a strace on the command, and the dump is located here on Arch's
bug tracker:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40610?getfile=11823

I did open a bug with Arch and they asked that I report it upstream. I'm
not sure if it is a samba bug or something wonky with the Arch package.
ldbsearch or ldbedit itself runs fine, but as soon as I add the
--modules-path, that's when it dumps.

In Arch, ldb is a separate package and the version is 1.1.16. I see that
package on the samba ftp is dated 24-Jun-2013 and 1.1.17 is 05-May-2014.
Maybe that needs an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.