[Samba] vfs_recycle and permissions

samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com
Fri Jun 13 01:39:49 MDT 2014

Hi,

at our site we are using Samba 4.1.8 as an AD controller and on
another machine as member server and all is working fine so far. Now I
want to provide recycle repositories for some shares on the member
server, so I set

vfs objects = acl_xattr recycle
recycle:keeptree = yes

in the corresponding share sections in smb.conf on the member server.
The problem is that the subdirectories created in the repository seem
to receive arbitrary permissions (UNIX permissions, UNIX ACLs and NT
ACLs) regardless of the recycle:directory_mode and recycle:subdir_mode
settings, whereas the files which are moved to the recycle repository
keep their original permissions.
Ideally, also the directories in the recycle repository would keep the
original permissions.
Is there a way to configure the vfs_recycle module so that also the
directory tree in the recycle repository retains the original
permissions and ACLs?
How do other people deal with permissions in the recycle repository in
combination with NT ACLs?

Best regards
Andreas