[Samba] Troubleshooting Samba 4 make test errors due to failure to set uid

Dan C. Wlodarski daniel.wlodarski at wright.edu
Tue Jun 10 13:06:23 MDT 2014

To whom it may concern:

I am attempting to migrate a Samba 3 PDC to Samba 4. Before committing to
the migration, I'm attempting to get a fresh Samba 4 PDC configured and
installed for a temporary domain running on virtual machines. For this temp
domain, the Samba server and all its clients will be virtualized. However,
before I even get to the stage where I can begin configuring the clients, I
fail to get Samba running on the virtual server.

I'm cloning the 4.1 stable branch from the official Samba Git server. When
I configure with the "--enable-selftest" flag and then execute "make test,"
the tests fail with many "failed to set uid" errors.

Building the 4.1 branch without the self-test enabled succeeds on the "make
install" step, but I'd like some reassurance before I commit more time that
this install will be stable.

My configuration:

Samba release number: 4.1 stable (from "v4-1-stable" Git branch)
OS: Ubuntu Server 12.04.04 LTS
Kernel version: 3.5.0-51-generic

The kernel was built with the CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR,
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY, and CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL options all set to
'y'.

Thanks for any guidance,
Dan C. Wlodarski
PhD candidate
Bioinformatics Research Group
Wright State University
--
A systems analyst, an electrical engineer and a computer scientist are
traveling in a car...