[Samba] Reason for no samba linux kernel driver

fiedel jones fiedeljones at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:06:45 MDT 2014

Hello Samba developers,

First, thank you for your excellent work!

I have a naive question, out of curiosity, why is there no samba server
support in Linux kernel unlike the cifs client support?

Wouldn't it be more easier to use if there is a samba server support in
kernel and a corresponding user space demon to control it just like nfsd?

Also, I think performance of a kernel space driver would be far better than
user space demon.
Same way that a performance of kernel space file system driver is better
than its implemented fuse driver.

Are there any specific reasons or just nobody thought about it as the
current user space demons are working so well?

Thanks!