[Samba] How to manage users with encrypted passwords

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 05:16:23 MDT 2014

On 12/06/14 11:54, Benjamin Rocton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not really understand your question. What is the difference?
A great deal actually, samba4 can do anything that samba3 can do PLUS it
can be set up to be an Active Directory domain controller.

> I thought samba4 was necessarily an emulation of an AD DC. This is not
> the case?

Yes and no, see above response.

> I installed two Samba4 DC for tests:
> - One with the "samba-tool domain provision" (server role "dc" ldap
> internal).
> - And another with "samba-tool domain samba3upgrade ..." to import the
> data from the current Samba3.

Initially you only need one 'unprovisioned' samba4 AD DC and the command
to run is:

samba-tool domain classicupgrade

This should extract the info from your S3 PDC and provision S4.

I would suggest that you go and read the samba wiki, specifically this page:

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

I would also hope that you are doing this in a test situation i.e. not
in production.

> The goal is to have a Samba4 AD DC.
>
> I do not know if I answered the question. Sorry.

Yes, you did, I hope my answers help you to get to your goal.

Rowland