[Samba] Sernet question

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Jun 10 07:35:30 MDT 2014

Hi Steve,

On 2014-06-10 at 09:17 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Sernet has two samba rpms, samba and samba-ad. Can someone explain
> when I'd use these packages.

That question would most naturally be placed
at SerNet... ;-)

The samba-ad package is the package that contains
those components that are needed in addition to the
"classical" components (smbd/nmbd/winbindd/...) when
you want to run the AD Domain controller setup, i.e.
basically the "samba" daemon and related libs and tools.
You always need "samba" in addition.

Example:
- when you run a domain member or standalone file server
  you do _not_ need the samba-ad package, but the samba
  package.
- When you run an NT4-style domain controller, you
  also need samba but not samba-ad.
- When you run an AD/DC you need samba and samba-ad.

Package dependencies should also help you:
install samba-ad and required packages will be pulled in
automatically.

Hope this helps,

Michael