[Samba] Samba 4 / idmap / NIS / winbind

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Jun 8 16:44:58 MDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-06-08 at 21:25 +0000, Vogel, Sven wrote:
> Thanks for the help
>
> @Rowland
>
> I tried these but it dont work form e. i think Steve said it right that i need an sssd when i am on the domain controller itself.
>
> @Steve
>
> I will try it. You wrote on DC. Whats when i am not on a DC?

Hi. On the DC, you cannot use winbind to do what you want. On a client
or file server you could. OTOH, You can use sssd on all three.
> I can add them with samba tool but i dont modify them with it. I saw that in 2012 microsoft removed the unix tab. So the best way will be use the shell. Therefore the only way is ldbedit or ldbmodify. What do you think?

We're not sure if they've removed it but we doubt it will be around for
ever. 2012 supports rfc2307 as before however. That will perhaps be
around for much longer. Wrapping around ldbmodify is the way to go; you
can tailor it to the exact needs of your domain.

> @Nico
>
> Base OS is SLES 11 SP3.

Oh dear, that's not so good. suse have not yet accepted the existence of
AD on Linux and you'll need to build a recent 1.11 series sssd if you
wish to take advantage of its ad backend. 1.9.5 as shipped with suse can
be tempted to talk to ad too albeit with reduced functionality. You may
be able to use the sernet libraries to supply the build requirements for
sssd at least.
HTH
Steve