[Samba] Migrate from one server (samba3) to a new one (samba4)

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Jun 5 23:31:29 MDT 2014

Am 05.06.2014 21:44, schrieb André Guilhon:
> Hey Marc. Even if I use LDAP for users? I've already copied the smb.conf
> and the tdbs to the new server, but I could not get it to connect to the
> old server to require the users in LDAP database!
> If I copy the /etc/groups it will work?

Ups. Sorry. I read you use tdbsam instead of ldap. In that case you
don't need to transfer the /etc/group.

If your new DC will have a different IP, then you can temporary keep
your LDAP on your old host running. You only have to make sure, that in
your smb.conf, you've copied to the new host, there's the IP of you LDAP
server. Then the classicupgrade is done on the new host and the
users/groups are taken from your old LDAP via network. And afterwards,
you shutdown your old server completely.

If your new DC should get the same IP than the old one, then simply give
the old one temporary a different IP. You only need it get users/groups
from during the classicupgrade. Or you install LDAP on your new DC
temporary and move everything. But this will be more work.

Regards,
Marc